Monday, March 12, 2012

Lordy..long time!

I'm not sure where the time went, but I know I was flat out the previous 8 days. That included 4 nights away from home and a trip interstate. I came home knackered. :| Could barely THINK, let alone tidy up. Then I got a cold. Just a little one, but that was enough to suck what bit of life I had out.

Anyway, today, feeling much restored from traveling and the cold, and with it being a public holiday (so no one online to chat to) I got out into the yard for some much needed work. You might remember this picture from August. Well, today I worked to get rid of that, dug out some rough sow thistle, and planted some bulbs I found. I'm not sure what they are, I'm hoping freesias.

The bulbs went into the guttering someone gave me to deter possums. I never got around to using it all for that. I'd found this gutter garden idea in Pinterest a while ago, and decided to plant the bulbs in the guttering.

To get the guttering up, I needed to prune the elderberry that was there (that would be the stick in the original picture). So I did that, found the hay string and started tying up the guttering. I moved the compost bin to put things in as well. The crap in the wire was in the way, so after I got one 'garden' up I dealt with the wire. I sorted things out, plastics in the Chrisco box, vegetation/rottables (cardboard etc) in the compost bin. Tossed the wire out of the way. Wondered how I was going to plant the bulbs with no potting mix and decided to check out the compost, that I didn't think had 'worked.' Turns out it had, so I shifted that to the guttering. I tied up the other guttering and used a different method for planting. The first one I put the compost in first and poked bulbs in, second time I put a layer of compost, bulbs, then more compost.

After all that, looking nice and neat I took the old cage off the lilac, only to find that it wasn't dead. I though I had dehydrated it too much over summer. :| But it has rallied. I poured out some of the decorative white rocks around it, then did the same to the elderberry, and finally shifted all the old catalogues that were in the wire to the bald patch near the fence. I raked up the stuff and poked that in the cmpost as well.

Dug up more sow thistle..in places I could swear I'd just cleared. They grow fast! :P

After I did that, and had lunch, I painted some bits of the hutch that the chickens live in nowdays back together, then I painted the hutch. White. And a bit of the big hutch. Thinking about painting the fence too :D

I spread out the last of the compost and fixed up the wire on the fence.

The chickens were a gift from a friend whos chooks hatched out a pile of chickens. I hope at least two are chooks, and not roosters.

Two gutters up, one full.

Compost

Bulbs.

More bulbs.

Not dead lilac.

Nice and tidy now.

Chickens!

Chickens eating spider webs in the guinea pig hutch

..and kicking out the guinea pig food.

No comments:

Post a Comment