Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Such a long time!

I've been thinking of moving recently, and while I can't actually afford to move into a private rental, thinking about it has nudged me towards cleaning out some extraneous matter.

To that end last week I went through my show box. This is just the old recycle bin we had, until the council went for the larger wheeled version. I chucked out about 5 pairs of sneakers, and numerous pairs of 'sandals.' The box's' contents doesn't look like it has changed dimensions.

Next I determined that the old books in the wall unit could go. I dont like to chuck books out, so I have put them in the recycle bin. This seems an adequate compromise to me. If someone at the recycling depot wants them, they can fish them out. There is still a ton left. A girl I know took the Virginia Andrews ones.

Then I started thinking about the rag rug bits in the old rat house. I haven't touched them for years. How many rag rugs does one person need? Not many, since the other ones haven't worn out yet! So, they were slated for the bin as well. Someone on Facebook said to bring the parts around, but no. If she truly wanted them, then she can make the effort to collect. I've cleaned out one shelf and the bin is full. With the dog t-shirt I found with the rag rug parts in a bag, I can safely say it has been at least FIVE years since I did anything with them. My craft blog mentions a denim rug in May 2009. And the 'tie rug' also in May, which I found as well.


I've also gotten down the bag of fabric that I had for KNITTING a rag rug. Thats going too, even though the balls and or sections of 'color' (a green, a blue and a pink) look lovely and ''oh..I could work on these"..no...BIN!

But it looks nice...


That was the rug I started like you'd make a friendship bracelet, just with a LOT more strands. Its useless as is, and I can't do anything with it. The premise was sound though. 

Since I know what I have, mostly, and what I 'need,' I was thinking that I could hire a skip bin. Sure, I now have a mate with a ute, but to do it by the ute load? Just in the shed is two sets of bunks and a mattress from the old 70's style couch I used to have (similar to this) - 12 years ago. I kept the foam part 'just in case.' I think I have had a 'just in case' ONCE! I was talking to the neighbours the other day, and they all have shed shit to get rid of. If they chipped in for a skip hire that would be a bonus. I don't expect them to though. 

I also have the dryer, which I also haven't used in 12 years, and which is full of stuff, inside and on top. Two old cat post things, the fan (which still goes, but which I have never used.) Technically I should get rid of 'my' chair as well, but the cats like to scratch it. If I replace it, it will be for a 2nd hand one so they can use it as a scratching post. 

Knowing that I can 'afford' to upgrade my things now, or get things I have sorely needed for a LONG time (wardrobe in my room), my plan is that for every new thing that comes into the house, things of equal or greater size will be going OUT. Or at least, whatever its replacing. 

It will take forever. But, its been here 12 years, a year to declutter sounds doable. 




No comments:

Post a Comment